Saturday 7 March 2015

Preferred place for prayer and meditation



This week I have visited three different places of worship.
My writing group meets at a Quaker Meeting House

The studios of the local radio programme with which I’m involved are in a renovated Methodist Chapel


I attended the reading of the story of Esther for the festival of Purim and the Sabbath service at my synagogue

But this poem which is on the wall of a garden in a nearby park expresses which venue is my favourite when it comes to reflection and contemplation:
The kiss of the sun for pardon,
The song of the birds for mirth,
One is nearer God's heart in a garden
Than anywhere else on earth.

~Dorothy Frances Gurney, "Garden Thoughts"


And this poem sums it up:
When overwhelmed and stressed and unable to think,
I go out and garden, it's cheaper than a shrink.

~Author Unknown


 What about you?

3 comments:

  1. Gardens, parks and generally anywhere outdoors is good for the soul - and, indeed, closer to God, because closer to His creation.
    Walking nearly always does the trick for me; my mind can turn over the things I have to deal with, and/or pray, while my body simply does what it is supposed to be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to vary writing locations. Good to find places where you can be quiet and peaceful by yourself too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely sentiment. Our garden is a bit chilly still but vey soon I'll be putting my lovely swing seat out and resuming my meditation position. I too have been to the Synagogue but I must say that any place of prayer, whatever denomination, has a certain feeling of peace about it.

    ReplyDelete

Prisons and prisoners

  Fortunately I’ve never been in prison and furthermore hope I never will. However, I have recently seen and read about this topic and it h...